Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Make money going to school

If you find yourself in a bind, go back to school. Granted, your income must be at a certain level to obtain financial aid, but if you are above that level, you don't need help anyway.

My job pays up to $3,500 a year for approved education courses. I still apply for the maximum financial aid. Why? Because I can get a subsidized loan and put it in the bank.
ING direct draws 4.5% right now.

Assume a $5,000 loan with no interest and no payments while in school.
You can earn about $250 in interest on the year.
Grad school takes around 2 years going to class at night and I was approved for $6,000 a year in subsidized loans.
After I am done with school, I make a one time payment and keep the interest. Work pays for my school, but pays it directly to me, not the school.

While this is only a feasible solution if you want to go back to school, it may be a reason to get the Master's degree you have been putting off. You must be diligent and not spend the money. You can also put that same money in a CD and earn a little more, but there may be early withdrawal penalties for an emergency.

No comments: