Monday, March 26, 2007

Free Gas from Shell

About 2 years ago, I was looking to build up a good credit history while saving money on gas. Shell offered a 10% cash back on all Fuel purchases for 3 months with their Shell Mastercard from Citi. After the 3 months, it reverts to 5%. I decided to sign up. It worked like a charm. I made all of my gas purchases on the card, received my statement online and paid the balance in full. It showed I earned around $15 in free gas during that month. The next month, there was an automatic statement credit of $15 towards any balance I had.

I used this card for gas purchases only for about a year. Then I got smart. Everything that I could pay with a credit card, I used my Shell Mastercard. While I only receive 1% cash back on all other purchases, it does add up. I am now married and my expenses have increased. My wife uses the card for her gas and purchases and my rebate increased substantially. What started out as around $15 a month for gas only, I am now averaging $45 a month statement credit. This is automatically taken off my balance. No points to accumulate, no waiting for a year, no minimums. Cold, hard, cash back for free.

I must stress that you pay off your balance in full every month. Shell will allow you to make up to 4 payments per month online. I pay my full balance at the end of every week so I do not get behind. This means they cannot charge me any interest and I reap all the rewards. If you do not pay off your balance, this strategy is useless. You will pay more in interest that the rewards you accumulate.

If you want free gas, go with the Shell Mastercard from Citi.
http://www.866getshell.com/

No comments: